Match Race & US Sailing Umpire Clinic
Thursday, January 24, 2019
Sunday, January 27, 2019
San Diego Bay
Join us for a weekend full of match racing! We are combining a Dave Perry Match Racing Clinic and a US Sailing Umpire Clinic, so anyone can improve their knowledge and execution of match racing skills.
Thursday, Jan 24
- 1830-2100: Sailors will kick off the clinic with a chalk talk in the Jessop Room. Dave will explain how match racing works and the tactics and techniques in the Prestart. All umpire participants are welcome to join. Heavy munchies/light dinner will be provided.
Friday, Jan 25
- 1200: Sailors meet in the Jessop Room at noon. We'll have a quick chat then proceed to the J/22s and go sailing, working on boat handling, boat speed and starting.
- 1700-1800: Break
- 1800-2030: Sailors video debrief from the days sailing in the Jessop Room. Heavy munchies/light dinner provided.
- 1815-2030: Umpires classroom instruction. Heavy munchies/light dinner provided.
Saturday, Jan 26
- 0800: Umpires meet in the dockside room
- 0900: Skippers Meeting (All) in the Jessop Room
- 0930: Sailors chalk talk in the Jessop Room until it looks like there is wind, then more drills and practice (please bring your own lunch).
- 0930: Umpires Classroom work, lunch (provided), then join sailors on the water.
- 1500-1800: Race #1 of the regatta, followed by a short debrief in the Jessop Room.
- 1800: Umpires dinner
Sunday, Jan 27
- 0800: Umpires meet in the Dockside Room
- 0900: Skippers meeting in the Jessop Room
- 1100: First warning of the day's racing; coaching between races by Dave Perry
- 1600 (or asap off the water): Short debrief, trophies, heavy munchies.
Fees are structured per person, and sign-ups are officially made individually. Sailors who are signing up as a team, please note team members (teams of 3-4 on SDYCs J/22s).
- Skippers: $180
- Crew: $90
- Umpires: $30 (this is a US Sailing fee)